In addition to our full day trainings for providers, we offer shorter inservices on-site at your agency or school. Inservices last between 2-6 hours and can be adapted to meet your agency’s needs. We encourage agencies to request our inservices together in a series so that we can make the connections between each topic.
Please note: there is a 10 person minimum.
- Health and Youth Development This inservice introduces HIFY’s perspective on youth and health. We explore youth development theory, the values underlying our work with youth, and how to apply an asset-based approach to youth health issues. Includes strategies for applying youth development in both health care settings and youth agencies, as well as a chance to hear and share best practices.
- Substance Use and Youth This inservice is an overview of youth substance use and harm reduction. We will discuss harm reduction theory, analyze messages that youth receive about drugs, and explore the context in which youth make decisions about substance use. Includes activities to practice working with youth to reduce harm and promote health.
- Working with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, and Questioning Youth (LGBT2SQIQ) Youth It’s not just about rainbow flags and HIV. Homophobia affects the well-being of all young people, whether they are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, two-spirit, queer, intersex, questioning (LGBT2SQIQ) or straight. This interactive inservice gives you the knowledge and skills to create a safe place for all young people to explore their sexuality and gender regardless of how they identify. We also discuss specific health concerns and work on ways to develop our own ability to be allies.
- Positive Sexuality and Youth “Sex is dirty and nasty. Save it for the one you love.” Ridiculous as it may sound, this is the message that young people often receive. HIFY’s inservice challenges this message by examining the concept of positive sexuality and explaining how it applies to working with young people. We will discuss how to support young people as they make sexual decisions, including both the choices of abstinence and sexual activity.
- Training of Trainers This inservice explores what makes a good trainer, and allows plenty of time for participants to practice their skills of public speaking and group facilitation. We include activities about how to work with difficult participants as well as provide some of HIFY’s “trainer Hat moments”. This inservice is primarily targeted towards youth peer educators, but can also be tailored for adult trainers by including adult learning theories.
Peer Education Groups:
We are always excited to work with peer education groups. We provide any of the inservice topics listed above, as well as Training of Trainers versions of our youth workshops.
back to top
We base our training costs on a sliding scale. Contact us and we’ll be sure to work with you to provide an amazing, tailored inservice for your organization!
back to top
For more details about inservices, contact: